Spring League Week 2

Week 2 of the ISSC Vancouver Spring League took place last Friday at Vancouver Technical secondary school.

The first game saw Stack’s enter the competition, facing the Cougars in the first game of the night.  Stack’s started strongly and battled competitively, taking an early lead.  The Cougars were slow to start but were awakened by a Stack’s goal.  With John Roche grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck around the middle of the park, the Cougars came alive and clawed back the deficit.  In the second half the Cougars were much more efficient.  With Sean Quinn making the move from goalkeeper to his usual position in the forwards in front of the posts, the scoreboard began to tick over favourably for the Cougars.  The Cougars defence were exceptionally tight in the second half, giving up very little and turning over Stack’s attacks on a regular basis.  Anthony Doyle and Keith Reveille battled hard to break the Cougars defence but found little room to manoeuvre as they were kept at bay.  The Cougars won out on a scoreline of 2-8 to 1-4.

The second match seen the two winners from Week 1 face off with the Saints facing Beast Modes.  The first half was a close affair with just two points separating the team at half time with Beast Modes leading 1-5 to 1-3.  It had looked like Beast Modes were taking command but Saints Barry Lambe as other ideas, as he took the fight to Beast Modes with some surging runs leading to Saints scores just before half time.   The game was on a knife edge as the second half began with both teams knowing how crucial the two points on offer could be.  After a close start to the half it was the Beast Modes who began to take control as the goals started to come thick and fast.  A Tom Egan brace of goals were instrumental in the Beast Modes winning the game.  A Niall Eivers point off the weak foot and a late Saints goal kept hope alive but the Beast Modes responded to those scores with goals to seal the contest on a scoreline of 5-9 to 2-6.  Special credit must be given to Gaelic Football newcomer Sam Hoare from Australia lining out for Beast Modes, who forced some great turnovers leading to scores and put in a solid performance.   Newcomers to the game is something that is great to see in the League and hopefully Sam and others continue to try and thrive.

Thanks to referees Ronan Matthews and Phillip Murphy for officiating proceedings.

The League takes a break for a week but will resume on April 10 at Memorial South at 8pm where Stack’s take on Beast Modes and the defending champions Wibblies re-enter the league against the Cougars.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.